Comments and Challenges

If you believe that the doctines and principles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are important and useful to help fashion a life of service and family values, this is my attempt to pull from the many discourses given in the General Conferences of the Church items that may be useful in this quest. For members of the Church or interested individuals, the actual talks are available in several formats and languages here: https://lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng. These posts contain my thoughts after reading the talks and may have value in the quest for a spiritual, fulfilling and joyful life. Please leave your comments of a helpful or uplifting nature.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Neil L. Andersen - Children


One day at the grocery store Shirlyn was in the checkout line with five of our little children when the lady in front of her looked at her and asked with haughty distain; “Haven’t you heard of Planned Parenthood?” Shirlyn paused and then responded; “Yes, and we are halfway through our plan.” 

There has not been a time since becoming parents that we have regretted our “plan.” We have know in special ways that each one is precious and has been allowed to be here as part of our family. One day after our fifth child was born, I had one of the dreams that is vivid and remembered. There was a small girl on a swing who told me her name was Patricia. Here she is. A few years later while she was still a small child and riding with us in the Suburban and sitting in the second row she said matter-of-factly; “I have a brother and his name is Timothy.” On her fourth birthday Timothy was born. After that, I’m sure Shirlyn would concur with Elder Andersen’s story, “. . . it’s no picnic!”

I am thankful that our decision to follow the commandment was made together with the prayers that brought concurrence from the heavens. I love Shirlyn for her willingness to be a mother and bear these spirits with their earthly bodies, even knowing the pain and sacrifice that would be required.

Now we are honored to have many grandchildren and this blessing continues. They are much easier to raise and the circle of love is more than just an expression. 

We relate to the story of the Masons who decided to trust faith and have their children in the face of the economic challenge of finishing Medical School. Ours is a different story but no less challenging and full of sacrifice.

We will be careful in our observations of couples who have different situations or challenges regarding children. 

Thank You Elder Andersen for doing such a service with your talk and helping our generations to understand their place with regard to bearing and raising children. 

1 comment:

Shirlyn H. said...

That was not the first time I'd been asked that. The first time was when we were at the Mall looking at the direction board (I'm not very familiar with Malls - I hate to shop) I was very Pregnant with five little ones all around me very excited to shop for their Daddy for his birthday. A couple in their 20's I guessed, came up to me and asked me if I hadn't heard of Planned Parenthood. It caught me so off guard and hurt my feelings so much that I collected up my little ones and went out to the car crying and drove home. When I told Jim what was said to me, he said that next time somebody has the nerve to ask you such a thing just say, "Yes, I have, and we're half way thru our plan!" So I was armed with a come back the next time it happened.

I loved Elder Andersens statement "Motherhood is not a hobby, it's a calling, God gave you time for."

His quote from Dr. Mason about President Spencer W. Kimball sitting across from him and saying to him when he had his doubts about starting a family while he was in medical school. President Kimball said to him, " Brother Mason would the Lord want you to break one of His important commandments so that you can become a Doctor?" (He and his wife had three children while in medical school.)

Also I loved hearing him quote our dear Prophet President Monson, "Scrimp and save..no shame..you will grow closer together." Act in faith.